Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Madeline the Movie

Last night, with Daddy at a meeting and the girls staying with Grammy and Grandad to enjoy some extended visiting with their great grandparents, the boys and I declared an impromptu movie night. After combing through the Netflix instant play options, we settled on the Madeline movie made about ten years ago.

I'm certainly not one inclined to favor movies over books, but I really think this movie might have actually improved on the books. It wove the different Madeline stories together quite nicely and fleshed them out in a way we found thoroughly enjoyable. Both the outright misbehavior in some characters and the childish foolishness in others were balanced adequately by a simple sense of justice and a respect for authority. And there were plenty of funnies and excitement along the way. We like it when movies leave us smiling in satisfaction, and Madeline did just that.

No comments: