Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen

Daddy was working late tonight, which meant my Tuesday evening Walmart shopping was out. However, it also meant that we wrapped up our daily routine early with no need to wait on Daddy for the simple "shopping night" meal I had ready. So, after tucking the little ones in, I sat down with Ian and Anna intending just to start the title above which we'd brought home long ago from a library trip.

An hour and a half later, we had finished it! The edition we read was an Everyman's Library Children's Classic--a cute little hardback with a ribbon marker and wonderful old illustrations by T. Pym. An amazing little adventure fairy tale told in rich prose and amply sprinkled with wisdom, mystery, and nonsense throughout! I tried to stop halfway through, but no one (including myself) wanted to wait to hear the ending. I'm quite certain that is the longest I have ever read aloud in one sitting.

No comments: