I've never done this before, but the inspiration came from a friend who's ten years younger. Gil's probably had his list for nearly a decade already!
This post is mainly to indulge my own curiosity as to what would currently make the cut for me after more than a quarter century as a voracious reader. This list is in random order as I can't imagine trying to place a more specific order on my favorites.
All-Time Favorites
*Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl by N.D. Wilson
*Pretty much anything by C.S. Lewis, but especially The Great Divorce and his space trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength)
*Emma (and most others) by Jane Austen
*Witch Wood by John Buchan
*Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
*Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss
*Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
*Little Pilgrim's Progress adapted by Helen Taylor from John Bunyan's story
*The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton
*Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
It's interesting to note that though I don't currently lean toward a desire to read fiction, pretty much everything listed above is fiction with the exception of the Tilt-a-Whirl book (and it reads like fiction). Ah, the power of story! It's just hard to find a conjured story that satisfies me these days for some reason.
Instructive writing doesn't lend toward the kind of emotionally involved page turning that happened with the books listed above, but these books definitely deserve some extra attention for the record:
Honorable Mentions
*I eagerly peruse any and everything I come across by Douglas Wilson (mastermind of Blog and Mablog linked in my side bar). His insights on faith and culture in his vast plethora of books, articles, and blog posts are invaluable.
*Debi Pearl's Created to be His Helpmeet had a powerful impact on my understanding of marriage.
It will be fun for me to revisit this post every once in a while to see if I have any changes to make as I remember other old reads and get some more page turning under my belt.
No comments:
Post a Comment