Thursday, May 8, 2008

Family Favorites

Time to start that other list. Here are some of the things I make regularly. None of them take too terribly long, but they're a little more involved than those on the previous list:

BBQ Mini-Meatloaves
Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Shepherd's Pie
Lasagna
Chicken Lasagna
Chicken-n-Dumplin's
Cranberry Pork Roast
Fish, Rice, and Veggies
Roast
Smothered Steak
Spaghetti Sauce
Chili (in season)
White Chicken Chili (in season)
Beans (brown, white, or red)
Sauerkraut/Kimchi

We do brunch for lunch on weekends and brinner for dinner occasionally on weeknights when I need to restock the freezer with Sunday morning fare:

Sausage Hashbrown Bake
Baked Oatmeal
Spinach Quiche
Sausage Gravy over Hashbrowns
Pancakes
Chocolate Gravy over Baking Powder Biscuits

Method to My Madness Note:
Most of the above I make in big batches for stocking my freezer. I'm finally catching on to tricks like browning extra sausage or ground beef to stick in the freezer before making things like spaghetti sauce or sausage gravy. I've also recently learned to boil 2-3 chickens at a time, reserve some broth for other uses, debone the birds, and put part of the meat in the freezer before making chicken and dumplings or chicken soup with the remainder. Having things ready and waiting in the freezer is not hard when it's incorporated into dinner prep.

So that's what I can think of for our current "regulars." More listings will likely show up as they occur to me. Again, any suggestions for healthy, tried and true family favorites that don't take a week to prepare would be more than welcome.

No comments: