Our math time today reminded me of a little tidbit I've been learning over the past year or so: a multitude of responsibilities for Mom means greater opportunities for initiative in the kids. It's easy to view the little ones' needs, the kitchen work, the laundry or whatever as an impediment to the older kids' education. However, I find that precisely because I can't sit and hover at their elbow during an entire lesson, they seem more apt to apply themselves and get it done.
Everyone knows the frustration of trying to convey something to a child who is not mentally engaged. Something that's been working for me lately in that situation is putting distance between myself and the stalled-out learner, i.e. moving on to other tasks on my list. Once on their own, the kids suddenly realize they'd better kick it into gear if they ever hope to get their studies completed and move on to other things. If I tell them that they must get a certain amount done before they can come to me with questions or for checking, that seems to help, too.
Of course there are times they need my undivided teacherly attention for a while, but it's good to realize that my need to be about many things is also helping train my children's character and intellect.
No comments:
Post a Comment